Stuck.. - Chevy Impala SS Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
NoobDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Compton
Posts: 57
 
Angry Stuck..

Hey guys, sorry I'm new and this is my first post.. So far I've read a ton of threads relating to my issue and have done everything to diagnose the problem however, I am still stuck.. Also don't know much but trying to learn how to work on a cars so kill me. Willing to learn.. ok. So cooling fans aren't working.. Fans work when I jump them from the battery.. Relays are good… Fans kick it when I unplug them from the CTS after about 20 sec like it says on the posts… My car runs hot only when I'm in traffic and stop as no wind is hitting the radiator.. Fans DO NOT come on when I turn on my a/c. A/C even on cold is always hot.. Whats my next move? Is it a faulty CTS? Is it wiring? Is it me? Taking her on her first road trip this weekend and do not want the car to overheat if I am stuck in traffic. Has new radiator new upper and lower hoses. Didn't know what a thermostat was when I flushed the old radiator fluid but now I do and willing to change if needed but I do not think that is the problem.. Thanks guys.
NoobDaily is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 01:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Impalass1995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 142
 
Garage
Make sure there is no air in the system. Did you berp it after you put new hoses and coolant in? Also ac needs to work make the other fan to kick on. Also you should get your pcm tune for lower temp and change the Thermostat to 160.

1995 impala ss dcm
1995 impala ss bbb sold
Impalass1995 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
NoobDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Compton
Posts: 57
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impalass1995 View Post
Make sure there is no air in the system. Did you berp it after you put new hoses and coolant in? Also ac needs to work make the other fan to kick on. Also you should get your pcm tune for lower temp and change the Thermostat to 160.
THANK YOU! No I did not bleed the system after so I will definitely do that! I will charge my A/C as soon as possible I will be looking through the threads to learn how to do it! Thanks man.
NoobDaily is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Bugman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Evansville, WI
Posts: 3,642
 
Does your car actually overheat, or does the gauge just climb? Factory gauges are generally not that accurate. Actually measuring the coolant temp would let you know for sure.

On my car, the coolant temp sensor was bad(reading low), so the fans wouldn't kick on until it was way, way too hot. Comparing what a scanner said the engine temp what to what I actually measured with a temp gun on the upper radiator hose showed that the sensor was off by more than 50°. Replaced the sensor, now the fans work as they should.

Disclaimer: Any hokey-assness on my personal vehicles does not reflect the quality of my work done while I'm on the clock
Bugman is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
NoobDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Compton
Posts: 57
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
Does your car actually overheat, or does the gauge just climb? Factory gauges are generally not that accurate. Actually measuring the coolant temp would let you know for sure.

On my car, the coolant temp sensor was bad(reading low), so the fans wouldn't kick on until it was way, way too hot. Comparing what a scanner said the engine temp what to what I actually measured with a temp gun on the upper radiator hose showed that the sensor was off by more than 50°. Replaced the sensor, now the fans work as they should.
Hey Bugman, no the car doesn't ever go into the "overheat" or red portion of the gauge. It kind of irks me however, my main concern are the fans. They never come on, not even when I turn on the a/c. I've read that once you turn your a/c inside, your secondary cooling fan should turn on and the fan doesn't turn on. Thats my concern. Getting the cooling fans to turn on. The dude from above suggested charging the A/C going to buy the supplies to do that soon.
NoobDaily is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,506
 
The fact is that with the factory turn on temps, the fans hardly ever come on anyway. You must get the PCM reflashed for lower turn on temps.
The odds are against you that the A/C system only needs a charge. Take it to a shop and have them determine what is wrong with it before you waste a bunch of money on re-charge kits and having them not cure the problem.
The other tests you have done have confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the fans or relays. Good luck.

Jim B.

'95 9c1, pcmperformance.com 93 tune, Dynomax Ultraflo catback, K & N box filter, LT4 KM, 160 stat, 3.08 Posi.
fbi9c1 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Winnipeg MB Canada
Posts: 354
 
Have you got one of those bleeder valves for the top of the thermostat housing?
JackFish is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
NoobDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Compton
Posts: 57
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbi9c1 View Post
The fact is that with the factory turn on temps, the fans hardly ever come on anyway. You must get the PCM reflashed for lower turn on temps.
The odds are against you that the A/C system only needs a charge. Take it to a shop and have them determine what is wrong with it before you waste a bunch of money on re-charge kits and having them not cure the problem.
The other tests you have done have confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the fans or relays. Good luck.
Hey Fbi9c1, thank you for replying! I see your post everywhere I appreciate the help. Yea… I think I am going to do that… My condenser looks like **** and the previous owner, I'm sure, didn't bother changing it, big possibility a leak might be there. There is a male end of a cable there unplugged.. Can't find somewhere to place it going to try to read more on it but thanks for the help man.

Jackfish, it does have a a bleeder valve on top of the thermostat housing. Why do you ask?
NoobDaily is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Winnipeg MB Canada
Posts: 354
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobDaily View Post
Jackfish, it does have a a bleeder valve on top of the thermostat housing. Why do you ask?
They make it easier to burp the baby, you're good to go.
JackFish is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
NoobDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Compton
Posts: 57
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFish View Post
They make it easier to burp the baby, you're good to go.
Sounds good I'll give it a try thanks!
NoobDaily is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome