DIY Coolant Filter - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 77
 
DIY Coolant Filter

Background info:

Earlier this year, when it was winter, I noticed my heat wasn't very hot. After some research I found that I probably needed to flush my heater core. I did so, and my heat was much better... for a week or so.
I had determined that it must have gotten clogged up again. I wanted to flush it again but not if it was going to just keep getting clogged.
I decided to try to come up with an inline filter for the coolant, before the heater core.
I saw a thread some where else where a guy was using a fuel filter with good results, but I just didn't like the idea of that.

I ended up with 2 brass pex fittings that screwed into each other, some stainless steel mesh, and some nylon washers to keep the mesh tight. I put this little fliter in place of the heater core flow valve (since mine was replaced with a simple hose reducer by previous owner it didn't seem like a bad choice.)

I've cleaned this filter a few times so far and it's holding up well, no leaks, and it's keeping big chunks out of my heater core. The only downside I see so far is the cooling system needs to be bled after cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160731_023357.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	144681  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160120_172303.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	144689  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160131_134750.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	144697  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160731_023148.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	144705  

Reece616 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 3,437
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece616 View Post
Background info:

Earlier this year, when it was winter, I noticed my heat wasn't very hot. After some research I found that I probably needed to flush my heater core. I did so, and my heat was much better... for a week or so.
I had determined that it must have gotten clogged up again. I wanted to flush it again but not if it was going to just keep getting clogged.
I decided to try to come up with an inline filter for the coolant, before the heater core.
I saw a thread some where else where a guy was using a fuel filter with good results, but I just didn't like the idea of that.

I ended up with 2 brass pex fittings that screwed into each other, some stainless steel mesh, and some nylon washers to keep the mesh tight. I put this little fliter in place of the heater core flow valve (since mine was replaced with a simple hose reducer by previous owner it didn't seem like a bad choice.)

I've cleaned this filter a few times so far and it's holding up well, no leaks, and it's keeping big chunks out of my heater core. The only downside I see so far is the cooling system needs to be bled after cleaning.
I have issues with owners having gunk in the cooling system. sure having the heater working good in the winter is a plus with high heat to keep the toes warm but what about the engine when its 90 + and your ac is on ? not good for engine with all that gunk in the coolant system.

I don't have these problems and you should not as well.
having owned the 96 impala for now 21 yrs and doing my own work on it except some paint work , I have a very clean coolant system in fact the coolant system is now cleaner than when the vehicle had 23 miles on it.

I use 2.5 gallons of antifreeze with 1.5 gallons of distilled water .
change coolant [drain block] every 3-4yrs . flush out heater core at this time even if the heat is working ... so that's with NO tap/drinking water !!!!

the heater core is a coolant filter that's my experience. when flushing now I get little debris on flushing it . when new had GM sealer tablets in it no heat new vehicle !!!!
j cat is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
 
91ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,356
 
What do you do with all that old coolant every 3 years or so?
91ss is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,991
 
OP - have you pulled both knock sensors and flushed the entire system? And backflushed the heater core? Doing this would make your band aid filter not needed.

grandpas wagon
1994 RMW 80K, clear corners, Gary's cables - battery, headlight, mech fan delete, air pump delete, home plate/first base delete, Bill Harper wiper arm mod, Corvette starter, 1LE elbow, Team SS pipe, K&N filter swiss cheese airbox, throttle body bypass, LED headlights.

All my posts contain 100% recycled electrons.
grandpas wagon is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Senior Member
 
4DoorSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beautiful Chester County, PA
Posts: 7,974
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpas wagon View Post
OP - have you pulled both knock sensors and flushed the entire system? And backflushed the heater core? Doing this would make your band aid filter not needed.
X2 on the Full Flush....

Also, I would seriously consider replacing/adding back the Flow Restrictor. Many may say they run fine without it, but consider this and other info on the web about this little part....

Flow Restrictor ? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

I trust the engineers put it there for valid reasons. Took one of these apart and there is a spring and other moving parts in there, so it's more of a Variable Flow Restrictor.

If you want to run your Filter, just splice it in between a new Flow Restrictor and your heater core.

================================================== =============


'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
4DoorSS is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 77
 
I do plan to flush my block as well, but when I started this project it was the middle of winter, I didn't want to pay someone for something I was capable of doing just because it was cold, and I didn't want to just let all that old coolant out on the driveway.
I will be doing it soon though, this just was to help keep my heat in the winter, basically.
Reece616 is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:01 AM
Senior Member
 
4DoorSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beautiful Chester County, PA
Posts: 7,974
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece616 View Post
I do plan to flush my block as well, but when I started this project it was the middle of winter, I didn't want to pay someone for something I was capable of doing just because it was cold, and I didn't want to just let all that old coolant out on the driveway.
I will be doing it soon though, this just was to help keep my heat in the winter, basically.
I think most recyclers that take oil, also take coolant. im fortunate to have 1 near me that has 2 containers there for oil and coolant. Just pull up, pour into the containers and go.

================================================== =============


'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
4DoorSS is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 77
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorSS View Post
I think most recyclers that take oil, also take coolant. im fortunate to have 1 near me that has 2 containers there for oil and coolant. Just pull up, pour into the containers and go.
That was one of my big concerns when thinking about flushing the cooling system but I found a location that accepts it. The problem is catching the coolant and water as I'm flushing. It'd be nice if there was a way to attach a hose to drain into a bucket and prevent spills.
Reece616 is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 07:18 AM
Senior Member
 
4DoorSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beautiful Chester County, PA
Posts: 7,974
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece616 View Post
That was one of my big concerns when thinking about flushing the cooling system but I found a location that accepts it. The problem is catching the coolant and water as I'm flushing. It'd be nice if there was a way to attach a hose to drain into a bucket and prevent spills.
Best you can do when draining the block is put a container under the car and try to catch as much as you can. When you pull the knock sensors out, it will go all over the place, down your arm, in your face, etc.

When flushing the system, I first pull the lower water pump heater hose off very little to let it gradually drain into a smaller pan. Keep the hose close to the end so it comes out slowly and falls info the smaller pan. I use a mud pan that you would use for drywall work. When that pan fills up, slip the hose back on and drain that into a larger bucket. Repeat the cycle a few times and drain as much out of the system which will get the resevoir and majority of the block drained. If you do this carefully enough, you won't spill much coolant.

Like I said though, when draining the block it will pretty much go all over and catch what you can. In the end, I take the hose and flush the driveway for a good bit of time. This helps to dilute whatever coolant spilled, and also helps to prevent any animals from getting sick if they happen to. Smell that sweet coolant. Don't think there is anyway you can do this without something hitting the ground.

Btw - same with the rad, just use a large pan and try to catch what you can after opening the petcock on the rad.

================================================== =============


'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
4DoorSS is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
jking1118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 1,810
 
I have yet to find anyone that will take old coolant in my area. None of the parts stores that take old oil will. The local dump does a once a year "hazardous material disposal day." I'm up to maybe 15 gallons of old coolant in need of discarding.

Jonathan

96 Impala SS, DGGM, 2nd owner, 101k miles, #39736 of 41934, Build Date 22 November 1996
96 Caprice Civi L99, bought it new for my Uncle, recently re-acquired
92 Honda Accord 2 door, 353k miles, daily driver
06 Honda Accord 4 door, wife's car
06 GMC K2500 CCSB, 6.6 Duramax/Allison
84 Chevy K10 regular cab, SWB, 305 w/4 spd granny, family truck

jking1118 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome