A/C full - No leaks - STILL blows warm??? - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
96_SS_Boi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 72
 
Garage
A/C full - No leaks - STILL blows warm???

I recently charged my A/C. The compressor engages just fine now, but it still blows piss warm air. It has no leaks. Any suggestions?

96 SS - Museum Mint
96_SS_Boi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 06:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 882
 
The valve that controls the air blowing over the heater core has crapped out or the blend-door rod has broken/dislodged. Or you have a vacuum leak in the HVAC system so the door isn't getting pulled closed.


1995 Caprice ERE 383, CIA long tubes, Dynomax VT's, RAISS, Kore3/Z06 brakes, 3.42 posi, Boss 338 20's, 12 way seats, Impala SS console, etc etc etc
atlantadan is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
96_SS_Boi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 72
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantadan View Post
The valve that controls the air blowing over the heater core has crapped out or the blend-door rod has broken/dislodged. Or you have a vacuum leak in the HVAC system so the door isn't getting pulled closed.
Can I fix this or should I go to an A/C shop? Also, when the A/C is on full blast and the clutch engages, the metal unit where I filled does not get cold either. The metal unit near the passenger firewall does not get cold or sweat at all.

96 SS - Museum Mint
96_SS_Boi is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
babywag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: California
Posts: 976
 
Did you pull a good vacuum on the system before charging?

An overcharged, low charged, air or moisture in the system(from inadequate vacuum before charging) will all result in same...no cooling or poor cooling.
babywag is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Senior Member
 
4DoorSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beautiful Chester County, PA
Posts: 7,974
 
I'm no A/C expert and just replaced pretty much the entire system with the exception of the Condensor and Evaporator. When complete, I just took it to a shop to have them evac and charge the system for me. Although the system was working great, it was working too well. It was actually icing up the entire system after about 10-15 min. and then there was zero airflow into the car. What they found was that the little $20 switch in the receiver/drier that I decided not to replace was bad and causing the Compressor to not cycle on/off as it should. So a stupid little piece that I just moved over from my old drier should have also been replaced at the time....live n learn.

Best advice I could provide is take it to a shop and have them do a quick diiagnostic of the issue for you. It may cost you an hour of Shoptime but at least you'll know and they have the tools and equipment I dont to get it done properly. GL

================================================== =============


'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
4DoorSS is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
96_SS_Boi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 72
 
Garage
Thanks everyone. The system was almost full before I charged it. I did not evacuate it before I charged it and I know I overcharged it a little. I will have an A/C shop evacuate the system and recharge it properly. I'll post updates.

96 SS - Museum Mint
96_SS_Boi is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 08:26 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 3,437
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorSS View Post
I'm no A/C expert and just replaced pretty much the entire system with the exception of the Condensor and Evaporator. When complete, I just took it to a shop to have them evac and charge the system for me. Although the system was working great, it was working too well. It was actually icing up the entire system after about 10-15 min. and then there was zero airflow into the car. What they found was that the little $20 switch in the receiver/drier that I decided not to replace was bad and causing the Compressor to not cycle on/off as it should. So a stupid little piece that I just moved over from my old drier should have also been replaced at the time....live n learn.

Best advice I could provide is take it to a shop and have them do a quick diagnostic of the issue for you. It may cost you an hour of Shoptime but at least you'll know and they have the tools and equipment I dont to get it done properly. GL
if the low pressure switch is always closed with NO / low pressure then the compressor will fail .. probably why the old one died. this is like running an engine with NO oil...
j cat is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 08:29 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 3,437
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_SS_Boi View Post
Thanks everyone. The system was almost full before I charged it. I did not evacuate it before I charged it and I know I overcharged it a little. I will have an A/C shop evacuate the system and recharge it properly. I'll post updates.
so the ac was not cooling and the receiver dryer was not cold ... if so then the orifice tube maybe bad [plugged up].... or the compressor is not pumping ..

temp door operation >>>>>>>>>...... does the hot air come out in hot ? and cooler air in cold ??? if so the temp door is working
j cat is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:39 AM
Senior Member
 
shudahadaV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jersey Shore, NJ
Posts: 322
 
You say your compressor is engaging (spinning), so the system should do it's thing ... even poorly. Since you are not detecting any cooling anywhere in the system (tubes, etc), your compressor is either simply not working internally, you actually don't have any Freon in the system, or your orifice tube is missing (or not working properly) and you are not getting a pressure / vacuum differential in your system. Without a high to low pressure transition, you will not get Freon to absorb heat (cool). You didn't say you hooked up a manifold to check your pressures (high and low), so I'm going to assume (respectfully) that you do not have the experience to fix this, and suggest you take this in to a shop before you inadvertently trash something ($$) ... and smack yourself.
shudahadaV8 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 06:02 AM
Senior Member
 
4DoorSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beautiful Chester County, PA
Posts: 7,974
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by j cat View Post
if the low pressure switch is always closed with NO / low pressure then the compressor will fail .. probably why the old one died. this is like running an engine with NO oil...
That could be but in actuality my system and old Compressor were still working fine.

In my case, I noticed dyed oil on the compressor case and was concerned it was leaking. Took it to a professional shop and they confirmed my thoughts and the Seal in the compressor was bad. I did not take them up on their $800 offer to replace the system for me. I just stopped using the A/C (even though she still worked) for fear of it leaking out to much, imploding and sending schrapnel thru the entire system.

I opted to replace the parts (compressor, orfice tube, drier and manifold hose, along with ALL seals) myself and take it to a shop to be evaced and charged. I just transferred over the $20 switch to the new dryer and put a new o-ring on that. I should have just replaced it to begine with but noooooooo, I didn't and smacked myself later for the $100 follow up repair bill. In any case, system is working flawlessly now....just in time for winter.

================================================== =============


'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
4DoorSS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome