Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

My stereo stinks!

438 views 11 replies 0 participants last post by  NJ96 
G
#1 ·
Hey stereo people...

I'm not much of a radio guy (mostly a hopeless horsepower addict) but after six years I think I've finally had enough of my completely stock setup. I think the stock speakers have been steadily degrading for quite a while (plus the rest of the car keeps getting louder!
)

So I'd like to do some kind of upgrade. Would a simple speaker change do the trick? I'd like to keep the stock head unit for simplicity. Any recommendations?

See less See more
G
#2 ·
yeah the easiest thing would be to upgrade stock speakers 6x9 for the rear and you can fit 6.5 in the front with some spacers which are easy to make. it will make your system sound alot better but getting a new headunit would be another great way to make your system sound better IMHO.

G
#3 ·
Yeah changing the speakers will work and they may sound better but getting a different cd player is a good idea.

More watts out of a newer head unit should make your factory speakers sound better.

If you want a nice sounding stereo and are willing to spend a little money then we can give you advice on which brands to stay away from and which ones to flock to.

G
#4 ·
Ron-

Once you swap out the stock speakers for some real speakers you'll wonder how you ever lived without them.

The stock speakers resemble coffee filters more than speakers...

Get a set of 6x9's in the back and either 6.5" components or 6.5" 3ways up front. Trust me, you'll know the difference.

Speakers alone will make a great improvement.

Go to Buyloud.com. They have a good selection and it's easy to bounce around and compare.

Good luck!

-Dan

G
#5 ·
Thanks guys. I was hoping just a simple speaker replacement will do the trick. And thanks for the link to Buyloud, Dan. I love buying this type of stuff online. Do you have any suggestions on which speakers on Buyloud are a good price/performance mix?

Hey Coprice -- what type of spacer are we talking about to get a 6.5" in the door? Just something I could cut out of wood?

G
#7 ·
Ron:
I would suggest going with 6.5 componet system. Kenwood KFC-P603 is a good set up for the price, I you would like to spend more the I would say something along the line of Boston Aqustics or MB Quarts. I personally think there among one of the best componets. Rear speaker I would suggest almost any 6x9 would work good. I think you want to spend a lil more in the front for it to sound better up there.
Now the stock head-unit will work but you are getting the most out of your speakers. So an 4 ch Amp would make it sound alot cleaner sound. Now for bass it all depends on what you want, Lound pounding bass? or just a good set-up to complment everything else. I know alot of people her use the scott willams baffle board with the 2 10 free-air. Those would work and give a good kick to the system. But you may want to look at some thing like a JL audio sub like 1- 10inch 10w0 or w3 Something like this would give ( i think) a clear bass sound, rather than the free-air set-up

I myself went from 2 RockFord 12's ( blew-em) to 1 JL 12w3 to the 2-10in kicker free-air set, back to 2-12 MTX 6000, and now I am currently goin to 3-12w3 Jl Audio.
I liked te free-air set-up no trunk space lot, but it didn't have enough bass for me. So I went to the MTX 12's. The MTX pound but I want something more cleaner and more musical so I am gona try 3 JL Audio 12w3's

I hope this helps. also Ron if you need prices on these any car audio please e-mail me off the list I am car audio vendor.

Thanks

G
#8 ·
Like show said.

Mb quarts and bostons are probably one of the best sounding speakers on the market for the $$$.

But if you get quarts or bostons then you will want to run an amp to them.

It's worth it.

G
#9 ·
ron,
open up the wallet and treat yourself to a nice 500 watt stereo to go with all your mods.

Modified SLP hood, Langess spoiler, Smooth bumpers, Black window trim/emblems, Mouldings/scripts removed.
Performance: 396cid, CC306 cam, GTP AFR 210cc heads, ported LT4 intake, Comp Cams rockers/lifters, AFR rev kit, TrickFlow pushrods, F-MAF, Holley 58mm, Meziere H2O, MSD 6T, MSD 8.5mm, FastChip, FLP headers, SLP exhaust, 3.73, SY4000 TC, Al driveshaft, 315/35R17s, Bilsteins, Eibachs, Hotchkis... etc.

G
#11 ·
Man I can see how I could get out of control pretty easily on this! (And like it
)

Well from what I see above and the link that NJ96 placed it looks like the Kenwood KFC-P603 has been a good bang-for-the-buck, so let's stay I start with those for the fronts. If I mount them in Scott's template (thanks for the link Dan) will they work okay behind the stock speaker grill?

Now normally I would like to get a complimenting rear set of the same manufacturer, but the only Kenwood 6x9s I see on Buyloud are the KFC-6908 which are 4-ways, and 4-ways were warned against in the link to the other thread. So what's the scoop -- get those 4-way Kenwoods or find another set of non-4way 6x9s? Or does it not make a hill-o-beans difference?

Finally, I think I'm going to keep the stock head unit because of simplicity as well as theft issues. Now hooking it up to a 4 channel amp doesn't sound so bad. Will a decent bang-for-the-buck amp work okay with the stock head unit? Suggestions? I don't think I'll mess with a separate subwoofer if the 6x9s are decent.

Thanks guys. Showss12 -- I'll drop you an email when I finally pick out the parts.

G
#12 ·
Ron-

Here's what I ran into with the fronts. The speakers are really quiet right now. I'm suspecting the headunit isn't pushing enough power to run them well. We'll find out this weekend (amp's going in Saturday :D ).

As for the rears, I was originally thinking of 3-ways, but the resounding answer was go with 2-ways. The reason being 3 or 4way speakers in the back will bring the high end further back in the car, which, generally, you don't want to do. High end should be in the front to make it sound like the music's in front of you. The 2-way in the rears will give you good mid and bass, which will compliment the fronts very well (the rears sound badass even without the amp).

Product loyalty doesn't really matter unless there's logical components involved (Headunit/CD Changer/DVD Player/etc.). For speakers, you can mix and match and they'll work well together.

Good luck with the selection. Let's hear what your thinking of.

-Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.