Head Unit Uprgrade for Fleetwood - Chevy Impala SS Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: las vegas, nv
Posts: 162
 
Head Unit Uprgrade for Fleetwood

So, my CD player had been acting up and then the FM tuner went out. I'm interested in getting a more modern unit in place with Bluetooth and possibly a rear camera set up (not necessary, but if available I'll hook it up). Not surprisingly, Crutchfield shows some pretty unattractive models for the 94 Fleetwood, and doesn't show any double din units that will fit. I thought any double din unit would fit in here, can anybody shed some light on this? What head units are most people switching out to?

Thanks in advance.

Constantine
cadillac531 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,636
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac531 View Post
... I thought any double din unit would fit in here, can anybody shed some light on this? ...
Thanks in advance.

Constantine
You owe yourself one helluva lot of Search on this very topic - been covered billions of times. Something about "din and a half" something, but go back a few years and there's good intel.

EDIT: I see you been on since '06. lol
Then again the old threads won't provide the latest head units, but there's good archive on faceplates and mounting.

\'96SS SOB: SSRI, Herter Tune, Tri-Y II, , 3000 Edge, F/HO bars, METCO extendeds with CV MMC, Bilsteins, currently Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta (315/35 rear). Finally, wait for it... LT-4 knock module!
\'96FWB BUW-Butt Ugly White: PCMPerformance tune, HDFA w/ swissed filter, 1/2 SLP s.s. catback with H- and Flow Super 50s, oem opti rebuilt 3 times, SS Bars, METCO LCA, Airlift 1000, Monroe SS, PowerTrax No-Slip, CTS wheels with +1 rubber. Finally, yes again... LT-4 knock module!

Last edited by 96 Black; 04-14-2016 at 12:47 PM.
96 Black is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: las vegas, nv
Posts: 162
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Black View Post
You owe yourself one helluva lot of Search on this very topic - been covered billions of times. Something about "din and a half" something, but go back a few years and there's good intel.

EDIT: I see you been on since '06. lol
Then again the old threads won't provide the latest head units, but there's good archive on faceplates and mounting.
OK, thanks for the reply. I'll look around and see. Worse comes to worse, I'll pull the radio out and do some measuring. I'll do a search too, yeah, I've been on since 06, and I know that some of my searches from back when would come up blank. Thanks.
cadillac531 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,636
 
I'm sure those of us who lived through the forum crash are pleasantly surprised with how much has been (and keeps being) restored. There's still some holes, but I can see stuff to '02. BTW, I'll have a search show "No results", but then still back into a particular thread I KNOW exists by using other tricks (approx. time, thread starter....)

\'96SS SOB: SSRI, Herter Tune, Tri-Y II, , 3000 Edge, F/HO bars, METCO extendeds with CV MMC, Bilsteins, currently Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta (315/35 rear). Finally, wait for it... LT-4 knock module!
\'96FWB BUW-Butt Ugly White: PCMPerformance tune, HDFA w/ swissed filter, 1/2 SLP s.s. catback with H- and Flow Super 50s, oem opti rebuilt 3 times, SS Bars, METCO LCA, Airlift 1000, Monroe SS, PowerTrax No-Slip, CTS wheels with +1 rubber. Finally, yes again... LT-4 knock module!
96 Black is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:57 PM
Senior Member
 
schlicky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Iowa
Posts: 468
 
Garage
I know from my own install that most double DIN units don't "technically" fit, which is probably why Crutchfield didn't list anything. Many can easily be made to fit though, by cutting out a section of the plastic support behind the factory stereo. I didn't take pics when I did mine, but I still have the cutout chunk of plastic laying around that I could take a pic of so you know what you're looking at. The exact stereo I put in was the Pioneer avh-x5500bhs, there's a pic of it installed in my garage on my profile if you want to see it installed. You can lookup that models dimensions and use it as a reference for whatever you're looking at.

Main thing to consider is depth, and whatever my Pioneer is, that's going to be about the limit of what you can fit in there. To run my USB cable I bought a right angle adapter because the straight plug was preventing me from getting the unit all the way in. I've noticed some newer models have the jacks in the back further recessed though so that may help a lot. Also take note, the double DIN install kit doesn't play well with double DIN units that have motorized flip out faces. It can be made to work though if you hog out a bunch of material with a dremel. I can take a closeup pic of mine with the face down to give you an idea if that would help.

Besides that, there's also a special adapter that has to be run all the way back to the trunk to install an aftermarket deck, not difficult, just annoying and time consuming. All of the specific info should be readily available in other threads on here, that's where I found most of what I know about putting them in. If someone really wants detailed pics of how to put one in or how I did my Roadmaster HVAC install (which I approached a little differently than anyone else as far as I know) you'll have to beg and plead and likely bribe me to get me to rip it all back out and create a detailed write up.

Something witty.

Last edited by schlicky13; 04-27-2016 at 10:58 PM. Reason: typos, always frickin typos
schlicky13 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: las vegas, nv
Posts: 162
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlicky13 View Post
I know from my own install that most double DIN units don't "technically" fit, which is probably why Crutchfield didn't list anything. Many can easily be made to fit though, by cutting out a section of the plastic support behind the factory stereo. I didn't take pics when I did mine, but I still have the cutout chunk of plastic laying around that I could take a pic of so you know what you're looking at. The exact stereo I put in was the Pioneer avh-x5500bhs, there's a pic of it installed in my garage on my profile if you want to see it installed. You can lookup that models dimensions and use it as a reference for whatever you're looking at.

Main thing to consider is depth, and whatever my Pioneer is, that's going to be about the limit of what you can fit in there. To run my USB cable I bought a right angle adapter because the straight plug was preventing me from getting the unit all the way in. I've noticed some newer models have the jacks in the back further recessed though so that may help a lot. Also take note, the double DIN install kit doesn't play well with double DIN units that have motorized flip out faces. It can be made to work though if you hog out a bunch of material with a dremel. I can take a closeup pic of mine with the face down to give you an idea if that would help.

Besides that, there's also a special adapter that has to be run all the way back to the trunk to install an aftermarket deck, not difficult, just annoying and time consuming. All of the specific info should be readily available in other threads on here, that's where I found most of what I know about putting them in. If someone really wants detailed pics of how to put one in or how I did my Roadmaster HVAC install (which I approached a little differently than anyone else as far as I know) you'll have to beg and plead and likely bribe me to get me to rip it all back out and create a detailed write up.
I haven't been on here in a while. Thanks for the reply. I'll check out your garage and see the install you did. I'm thinking that my head unit is fine, now. I think what really went out on me is the amplifier in the trunk. So, with that going out, what's the get around in getting a new system to work in there? Do I still have to do something in the trunk, is that where all the hookups are for the speakers? I can bypass the amp then all together, right?

Thanks.
cadillac531 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 01:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sonoma County, California
Posts: 1,026
 
On my Lincoln Mark VII's OE JBL sound system and one of my 1996 Impala's OE AM/FM/CD, I had a local guy refurb the units and add a 1'8" input for Ipod, etc. Sounds great!

God Bless America!

1996 Impala SS DCM

1996 Impala SS BBB

1995 Buick Roadmaster Sedan

2014 Chevrolet VOLT
2016 Chevrolet Cruze
(SOLD) 2001 MagRed Corvette Coupe
1986 Corvette Coupe
2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 7.3 Diesel
1979 \"Bandit\" TransAm 403/at
1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
1986 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel 4x4
Mikeceli is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
schlicky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Iowa
Posts: 468
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac531 View Post
I haven't been on here in a while. Thanks for the reply. I'll check out your garage and see the install you did. I'm thinking that my head unit is fine, now. I think what really went out on me is the amplifier in the trunk. So, with that going out, what's the get around in getting a new system to work in there? Do I still have to do something in the trunk, is that where all the hookups are for the speakers? I can bypass the amp then all together, right?

Thanks.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, haven't been on here since before the whole hacking fiasco and have been a little gun shy. There's a bypass harness you have to install to "delete" the factory tuner and amp(s) that are in the trunk. As far as I know, once that harness is installed, it shouldn't matter if the factory amp has failed, and you shouldn't have been able to get an aftermarket deck to work without installing that harness. Unless you had a Bose system which usually has a small amp at every speaker, and those are usually incompatible with normal head units, Bose just has very strange ideas about how sounds systems should work and don't use industry standard voltages, impedances, and I've seen some that use the positive side as the ground. In that case, you just pull the factory speaker/amp assemblies and put in your aftermarket speakers of choice.

Something witty.
schlicky13 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 377
 
I found this one ebay, looks to be pretty decent? Am currently researching if this is a direct plug and play as it CLAIMS to be - caveat emptor!

Chevy GMC 1995-2002 Car Truck Radio AM FM CD Player Upgraded w Bluetooth Music | eBay
ace72ace is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome