Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Correct Jeep steering shaft? What other parts do i need?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  4DoorSS 
#1 ·
I believe this is the jeep steering shaft that is used to replace the impala shaft. Bought this a while back just making sure its the correct 1. Also what other parts will i need to R&R the old shaft? Steering is getting very sloppy and its time to do the change. thanks guys.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You must put a groove in the end of the steering column shaft to allow clearance for the clamping screw to go past the shaft. There is a slight interference.

The shaft you got is the better and easier of the two styles to use.

#5 ·
You still must collapse the jeep shaft. Do not beat on the end. If you put pressure on the universal joints, you can damage them.

Measure the distance that the upper sleeve goes over the column end, and mark it at the hole for filing. You can use a small round file, or Dremel tool with a grinding wheel/cutter to make the slot. The column is fairly soft steel.

#6 · (Edited)
Good link as it has install picks which should help show what you need to do.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/11877329-post140.html

Edit - from what I remember seeing/reading elsewhere, you don't need to grind much of a groove in the steering column. Just put the bolt through the jeep shaft, look in the end and see how much of the bolt is exposed to determine how big to grind the groove.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.