Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

noise when turning

681 views 8 replies 0 participants last post by  kevm14 
G
#1 ·
this problem occurs sometimes,on my 96ss, when i'm backing up and the wheel is turned all the way to the right, i hear a "Bump" noise, I just done a complete front end grease job, but that did'nt help. could I have a more serious problem?

G
#2 ·
Two possibilities come to mind:

1 what you are feeling/hearing is the front wheels scrubbing as you make the tight turn. It's fairly common with wide tires - no problem.

2 what you are feeling/hearing is the posi. Try adding a half bottle of GM (accept no substitutes) to the rear end and see if that takes care of it. When I had the Eaton put in, it was much tighter than the stock Auburn ever was and I get a distinct feeling of the cclutches slipping a bit at a time in tight, slow speed turns.

G
#4 ·
Thanks, MY rear tires are new g-force by bfgoodrich they are the same size as the originals. the bump noise is definately comming from the front end. I still have the original Stock tires in the front.

G
#6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terry McManmon:
Ron,
There is a chance the steering stop could use a little grease on it. These will make a grinding noise if you hit a bump with the front wheels while the steering is a full lock. Either or both sides can do it.
Terry
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Terry, while turning at left or right lock in my 9C1, even if the pavement is flat (could be a little rippled, but no bumps) I get the pop sound from whichever side is inside of the turn (happens to be the side that is hitting the steering stop. I'm going to lube my stops as soon as I get a chance, so I guess we'll see. I had previously thought it was my wheel bearings because while moving foward at lock, it does multiple POP-BANGs type stuff. We shall see.

G
#7 ·
Kevin,
It does sound like your situation might be more than the stops rubbing. I would check the bearings in your case. Also take a good look at the inner control arm bushings, both upper and lower. The upper bushings especially have a lot of stress on them in a turn.

G
#9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terry McManmon:
Kevin,
It does sound like your situation might be more than the stops rubbing. I would check the bearings in your case. Also take a good look at the inner control arm bushings, both upper and lower. The upper bushings especially have a lot of stress on them in a turn.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have new rotors and bearings that I will install when I kill my PF pads. I should have mentioned that I installed a PST front end kit about 10k miles ago...brand new everything. Between the bearings (which have a little more play than I desire) and the stops, I think I have my bases covered as far as diagnosing the noise. I'll keep everyone posted on what I find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.